Thursday 11 June 2009

Punched Flower Tutorial

I have had lots of requests to show how I make my flowers, so here’s how I do it. I must say that I first got the idea off the mega talented Deb, so this is my version - there is probably a very much easier and simpler way to do it but this works for me :)

I use various flower punches but these are my current favourites and what I used to make these flowers McGill, Stampin Up and EK Success

You will also need card (not too thick) in one or two colours and / or a scrap piece of designer paper (reasonably heavy weight if possible), a scroll or text stamp, chalk or dye ink pad, a dauber or sponge to apply the ink, 6mm and 3mm embossing tools, a pair of scissors and an embossing mat – my favourite is an off- cut of vinyl flooring, it has just the perfect “give” for embossing paper and prevents wrinkled edges – honest.



Punch out the largest size and stamp a scroll pattern/text on the front with a matching ink

Ink the edges of the flower and cut into the centre (not all the way through)

Using the 3mm embossing tool emboss a centre line on each petal (front of flower)

Flip flower over and using the 6mm embossing tool emboss around the edge of each petal, then move into the centre but don’t emboss over the line you had previously embossed

Flip the flower back over (face up) and apply pressure with the embossing tool to the centre of the flower, making small circular movements to help cup the flower and lift the petals

For extra “movement” curl the petals over your finger

Your flower should look like this

Repeat this twice more, just ink the edges of the DP layer and emboss as before

Now although I love these Tibetan spacers they are the very devil to fix to the flower due to the curve. Soooo, to get rid of all your stress, take a hammer and a piece of wood, place the spacer on the wood face down and give the spacer a good few wallops to flatten it. Aaah that feels much better!

See the difference – so much easier to fix with a brad now.

And there you have it, a pretty flower that matches your card perfectly. :)


Thanks for looking,

13 comments:

Lilacanglia said...

thank you for sharing
your flowers are gorgeous,
Hugs
Angie

Pink Princess said...

SWEET! I never saw spacers like that here though..
Hugs...

Nicki said...

This is SO lovely! Thank you for the quick tut! Easy peasy with such a professional look! LOVE IT!

Finja said...

beautiful, thanks a lot for sharing
Hugs Finja

liszha said...

Thanks for explaining. Gonna give this a go myself. It looks easy enough

BlueRose said...

Oh my thank you so very much for the tutorial how easy is that!

SpiritMama said...

That's so beautiful, I had no idea how they were done, thanks!

moti said...

Hi, thank you for sharing!!!!!lovely !!!!

regards
Eli

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.

Julie Allain said...

Thanks for another great tutorial Bev :)

Margy said...

Beautiful!

Merry said...

What a stunning flower...thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are mistaken. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.